Right, thanks, but you're missing my point/question.

A significant portion of all of our libraries use these days is by patrons that are off-campus and will not be IP-authenticated (Unless you have all patrons use a VPN or something before using library services?)

Those off-campus patrons at Dartmouth, do they just always get the limited results available to non-auth end-users, or do you encourage them to login (and if so, any idea how many do?)

On 10/24/2012 1:54 PM, Mark Mounts wrote:
We have Summon at Dartmouth College. Authentication is IP based so
with a Dartmouth IP address the user will see all our licensed
content.

There is also the option to see all the content Summon has beyond
what we license by selecting the option "Add results beyond your
library's collection"

Mark

-----Original Message----- From: Code for Libraries
[mailto:CODE4LIB@LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of Jonathan Rochkind
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2012 12:16 PM To:
CODE4LIB@LISTSERV.ND.EDU Subject: [CODE4LIB] Q: "Discovery" products
and authentication (esp Summon)

Looking at the major 'discovery' products, Summon, Primo, EDS....

...all three will provide some results to un-authenticated users (the
general public), but have some portions of the corpus that are
restricted and won't show up in your results unless you have an
authenticated user affiliated with customer's organization.

So when we look around on the web for Summon and Primo examples, we
can for instance do some sample searches there even without logging
in or being affiliated with the particular institution.

But we are only seeing a subset of results there, not actually seeing
everything, since we didn't auth.

But most of these examples I look at don't, in their UI, make this
particularly clear.

This leads to me wonder if, in actual use, even for customers who
_could_ login to see complete results -- anyone ever does.

So very curious to get an answer from any existing customers as to
this issue. Do the end-users realize they will get more complete
results if they log in?   Do you have any numbers (or other info,
even if not cold stats) on how many end-users choose to log in to see
more complete results?

If nobody ever authenticates to see more complete results.... then
the subset available to un-authenticated users essentially _is_ the
product, the extra stuff that nobody ever sees is kinda irrelevant,
no?

Anyone who is a current customer of Summon/Primo/EDS want to say
anything on this topic? Would be helpful.