On Dec 4, 2012, at 11:38 AM, Jonathan Rochkind <rochk...@jhu.edu> wrote:

> While I agree with ross in general about suggesting technical solutions
> without suggesting how they are going to be maintained -- agree very strongly
> -- and would further re-emphasize that it's improtant to remember that ALL
> software installations are "living organisms" (Ranganthan represent!), and
> need ongoing labor not just initial install labor....
>
> I don't agree with the conclusion that the _only_ way to do this is with a
> "central organization" or "my organization which has shown
> commitment through z"
>
> I think it IS possible to run things sustainably with volunteer decentralized
> not-formal-organization labor.
>
> But my experience shows that it _isn't_ likely to work with ONE PERSON
> volunteering.  It IS more likely to work with an actual defined collective,
> which feels collective responsibility for replacing individual members when
> they leave and maintaining it's collective persistence.

FWIW, this is more what I meant (although stated much better).  That is, a
clearly defined plan, with a group that is dedicated to the ongoing maintenance
of said plan.

The journal is a good example of this.

On the other hand, a non-distributed approach (see: OSU's commitment with
Drupal and Mediawiki) is also fine, as long as the institutional commitment is
there.

-Ross.