-----Original Message-----
From: Code for Libraries [mailto:CODE4LIB@LISTSERV.ND.EDU] On Behalf Of Joe
Hourcle
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2013 12:37 PM
To: CODE4LIB@LISTSERV.ND.EDU
Subject: Re: [CODE4LIB] You *are* a coder. So what am I?

On Feb 18, 2013, at 11:17 AM, John Fereira wrote:

>> I suggested PHP primarily because I find it easy to read and understand and
>> that's it's very commonly used.  Both Drupal and Wordpress are written in
>> PHP and if we're talking about building web pages there are a lot of sites
>> that use one of those as a CMS.

> And if you're forced to maintain one of those, then by all means, learn PHP
> ... but please don't recommend that anyone learn it as a first language.

And the reason that I suggested PHP is that one is more likely going to be
*forced* to learn PHP because it's so much more commonly used than something
like Haskell, or R, or even Python.

> I've looked at both good and bad perl code, some written some very
> accomplished software developers, and I still don't like it.   I am not
> personally interested in learning to make web pages (I've been making them
> for 20 years) and have mostly dabbled in Ruby but suspect that I'll be doing
> a lot more programming in Ruby (and will be attending the LibDevConX workshop
> at Stanford next month where I'm sure we'll be discussing Hydra).   I'm also
> somewhat familiar with Python but I just haven't found that many people are
> using it in my institution (where I've worked for the past 15 years) to spend
> any time learning more about it.  If you're going to suggest mainstream
> languages I'm not sure how you can omit Java (though just mentioning the word
> seems to scare people).

> It's *really* easy to omit Java:

>       http://www.recursivity.com/blog/2012/10/28/ides-are-a-language-smell/

I generally take articles like that with a large heaping of salt when it's
fairly obvious that someone is biased against a specific language but that
article seems to be more about using an IDE than using Java.  In any case, I
really didn't start using an IDE (I wrote all my code using a unix text editor)
until several years after I learned Java.

>You might as well ask why I didn't suggest C or assembler for beginners.
>That's not to say that I haven't learned things from programming in those
>languages >(and I've even applied tricks from Fortran and IDL in other
>languages), but I wouldn't recommend any of those languages to someone who's
>just learning to > program.

I remember when Pascal used to be the language of choice (actually, I remember
when it was Basic) as an instructional programming language, but I cut my
programming teeth using assembly language (more like the raw octal
representation) and Fortran before I learned C.

-Joe

> (ps. I'm grumpier than usual today, as I've been trying to get hpn patched
> openssh to compile under centos 6 ... so that it can be called by a java
> daemon  that is called by another C program that dynamically generates python
> and shell scripts ... and executes them but doesn't always check the exit
> status ... this is one of those times when I wish some people hadn't learned
> to program, so they'd just hire someone else to write it)

I feel your pain.  I've had plenty of days like that as well.