On Jun 29, 2013, at 7:16 AM, BWS Johnson wrote:

> Salvete!
>

>> I am happy to announce that we have secured the venue and dates for
>> Code4Lib 2014!  The conference will be held at the Sheraton Raleigh Hotel
>> in downtown Raleigh, NC on March 24 - 27, 2014.  Preconferences will be
>> held Monday March 24, and the main conference on Tuesday March 25 - 27.
>>

>      Hooray, that's sort of close. Maybe I'll be able to pit fight my own
> place next year.
>

>> Finally, the hotel has the capacity to host all of the attendees, and we've
>> negotiated a rate of $159/night that includes wireless access in the hotel
>> rooms.  Hotel reservations will be able to made after you register using
>> the information provided in your registration confirmation.  We will be
>> publishing more details as become available.
>

>      Ruh oh. This was rather shocking. Perhaps you might wish to show them a
> hotels.com search, which puts your $159 just over the Hilton and about double
> other places in the vicinity. I'm sure it's nice and all that, but uh,
> perhaps they would be willing to come down seeing as how we're sending a
> boatload of traffic their way.

Government per-diem rates for Raleigh is $91 per night :

        http://www.gsa.gov/portal/category/100120

I have no idea if that can be used for negotiations at all.

For some reason, they're not showing any federal government rates when I
searched, but they're offering state government employees rooms at $64/night.
(you might have to pay extra for the wifi, though)  I highly suggest that
people who work for public universities or libraries inquire about getting that
rate.

-Joe

(even though the state of maryland makes me pay into the state retirement
system because I'm a municipal elected official, they won't issue me a state ID
card, so I can't get the state rates when traveling, which are typically better
than the federal rates ... I've actually debated about if it makes sense to
work for 3 years in a real state job, then claim a pension based on my 'top 3
years' of pay times the number of years worked)