Contact: Michele Kimpton <mkimp...@duraspace.org>, Evelyn McLellan
<eve...@artefactual.com>

Read it online: http://bit.ly/1srx8y4

DuraSpace and Artefactual Partner to Offer New Hosted Service
New End-to-End Digital Preservation Service is Designed for Universities,
Archives and Cultural Heritage Organizations
Winchester, MA Universities, archives and cultural heritage organizations want
it all when it comes to ensuring that their digital holdings remain both safe
and accessible for future generations. Archivematica, a preservation workflow
tool designed by Artefactual, and DuraCloud, an archival cloud storage and
preservation service from DuraSpace, are pleased to announce that they have
teamed up to provide just that–an end-to-end open-source digital preservation
solution based on Archivematica and DuraCloud that will set the standard for
one-stop durable, safe, and cost effective long-term preservation and storage.

"We are extremely enthusiastic about our new strategic partnership with
Artefactual Systems,” said DuraSpace CEO Michele Kimpton. “Artefactual are
experts in archiving digital material and we are experts in managing open
source projects and running software in cloud infrastructure.  With our teams
working together we can achieve a truly robust, open, easy to use digital
archiving solution I think the community will be excited about."

Archivematica and DuraCloud are unique among long-term preservation and storage
solutions. They are both built on open-source software which is documented and
freely available. Users can download their data at any point. This means that
users of the new service do not have to worry about data lock-in and the
service can be run locally at any time. AVPreserve has called DuraCloud “unique
among the services covered” in their Cloud Storage Vendor Profiles series [1]
because users can download the entirety of data at any point and/or host the
system locally without additional cost.[2]

"The launch of an Archivematica DuraCloud hosted solution is a timely addition
to the digital preservation community, offering a configurable preservation
planning option at the intersection of OAIS-based workflows (Archivematica) and
archival storage services (DuraCloud),” said Nancy McGovern, Director of DPM
Workshops. “When providers choose collaboration over competition, the gains to
our community can be significant. A partnership like this that brings together
open-source providers each with a solid track record promises to result in just
that kind of benefit."

Users of the service will have access to a robust suite of digital preservation
functions via the online dashboard. Archivematica is well known for its ability
to produce highly standardized and interoperable Archival Information Packages;
these packages will automatically be placed into DuraCloud for long-term secure
archival storage. Some of the key features of Archivematica include assigning
permanent identifiers and checksums, virus checking, identifying and validating
file formats, extracting technical metadata, normalizing files to
preservation-friendly formats, and generating detailed PREMIS metadata to
facilitate inter-repository data exchange.  Key features of DuraCloud include
automated health checking of the content, reporting, and the choice to store
multiple copies at multiple storage providers.

If your organization is interested in learning more about this offering please
contact Michele Kimpton (mkimp...@duraspace.org) or Evelyn McLellan
(eve...@artefactual.com), or complete the inquiry form at
http://duracloud.org/archivematica

About DuraSpace
DuraCloud (http://duracloud.org) is a service from DuraSpace
(http://duraspace.org), an independent 501(c)(3) not-for-profit organization
providing leadership and innovation for open technologies that promote durable,
persistent access to digital data. We collaborate with academic, scientific,
cultural, and technology communities by supporting projects (DSpace, Fedora,
VIVO) and creating services (DuraCloud, DSpaceDirect) to help ensure that
current and future generations have access to our collective digital heritage.
Our values are expressed in our organizational byline, "Committed to our
digital future."

About Artefactual Systems
Artefactual's (http://artefactual.com) mission is to provide the heritage
community with vital expertise and technology in the domains of digital
preservation and online access. We develop open-source software
(Archivematicaand AtoM) and promote open standards as the best means of
enabling archives, libraries and museums to preserve and provide access to
society's cultural assets. We are archivists, librarians, software developers,
systems administrators and systems technicians, all working together to advance
the capacity of heritage institutions to meet their mandates in a rapidly
changing world.

[1] Cloud Storage Vendor Profiles:
http://www.avpreserve.com/avpsresources/papers-and-presentations/
[2]