This message has been sent out to multiple lists. Please excuse any duplication.

Please join the ALCTS Technical Services Workflow Efficiency Interest Group
(TSWEIG) at the 2016 ALA Midwinter Meeting in Boston, MA.

Time: Monday, January 11, 2016, 1:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
Place: Boston Convention and Exhibition Center, Room 103

Streamlining ETD Processing at the University of Iowa Libraries using Trello
Board
Amanda Z. Xu, Metadata Analyst Librarian, University of Iowa Libraries

The ETD processing at University of Iowa Libraries is a complex workflow
requiring project management, collaboration with project stakeholders within
the Cataloging and Metadata department and other departments in Digital
Publishing and Preservation. The digital scholarship librarian receives XML and
PDF files from ProQuest and the Preservation Metadata Librarian copies these
files into an archive for digital preservation. Another copy of the files are
generated for the Cataloging and Metadata department to process the ETDs for
the Iowa Research Online (IRO) institutional repository and OCLC Connexion.
This presentation will describe the workflows and collaboration of ETD
processing at the University of Iowa Libraries, and the implementation of
Trello Board for tracking the ETD workflow.

>From Excel ETD Metadata to MARC Bib and NACO Records in  4 8 12 easy steps!

Steven W. Holloway, Metadata Librarian, James Madison University
At JMU the library receives ETD metadata from our institutional repository as
bulk Excel files.  A combination of open source and home-grown XSLTs permit us
to generate complete MARCXML RDA bibliographic records that we export to OCLC
after minor editing, to which subject headings are assigned at a later point.
We also create NACO records for the dissertants, based on our asking the right
questions in the ETD submission form, and use XSLT transformations for this as
well. The XML files are stored and edited in an eXist-db (native XML database)
instance set up as a web service.  There are several steps in the workflow but
the system is scaled to accommodate many hundreds of ETD submissions at a time,
and can be adapted for any spreadsheet-based metadata amenable to
transformation into MARC or BIBFRAME formats.

Catalog ALL THE THINGS: Leveraging Automation to Catalog a Massive Audio-Visual
Collection

Lucas Mak, Metadata and Catalog Librarian; Autumn Faulkner, Head of Copy
Cataloging; and Joshua Barton, Head of Cataloging and Metadata Services &
Assistant Head of Technical Services, Michigan State University Libraries

Michigan State University Libraries (MSUL) recently received a gift of more
than 800,000 titles of sound and video recordings. Even though a minimal set of
metadata was provided by the donor, the sheer quantity still posed an
unprecedented challenge for cataloging. However, with the help of scripting and
APIs for various online metadata sources, MSUL was able to catalog and make the
collection available for circulation six months after the receipt of this gift.
This presentation will discuss the design and execution of this automated
workflow, limitations, unintentional consequences, responses to resulting
problems, and follow-up record enrichment plans, as well as what we might do
differently if we had the chance.

>From MODS to OCLC through the WorldCat Metadata API
Akhtar Shaun, Metadata Librarian, Dartmouth College Library

The Dartmouth College Library's MODS repository is its primary metadata source
for local digital collections and items. The library wants to incorporate the
original cataloging done in MODS for both legacy and new digital projects into
WorldCat, in order to expose the metadata for the library's unique resources on
a global platform and establish OCLC record identifiers for local and external
use. OCLC's WorldCat Metadata API presented a new opportunity to effectively
meet this need. The library has developed a command-line batch processing tool
that uses the Metadata API to create and update records using MODS-derived
MARCXML. This presentation will explore the details of our workflow, how the
tool has been developed to support our use cases, and what we've learned about
the API so far. The tool is currently being piloted at Dartmouth to create
master records in WorldCat for digital dissertations and archival posters. Its
use may be expanded to a variety of other WorldCat-connected cataloging
workflows for local collections. Written in Ruby, it provides detailed logging
and reporting capabilities, and builds on code previously released by the OCLC
Developer Network and Terry Reese.

Annie and Hayley

Co-chairs TSWEIG

Margaret "Annie" Glerum
Head of Complex Cataloging
Department of Cataloging & Description
Division of Special Collections & Archives
Florida State University Libraries
850-644-4839
agle...@fsu.edu<mailto:agle...@fsu.edu>

Heylicken Moreno