*raises hand* my library doesn’t have an API *wahhhhh* ;)

Until recently-ish (last year or so), I didn't even know what an API was,
despite having been subscribed to this group (and mostly in lurker mode) for
quite some time now. Thankfully I did a short course through Library Juice
Academy that explained it to me (it was a 'hallelujah!' moment). Doesn't mean
I've been able to make any use of the APIs available to me through our various
vendors, so far. And I sure as heck won't be building my own APIs anytime soon.

I did librarian studies, not IT studies - but I know a lot of IT people in
libraries have basically taught themselves all that they know, without any
formal training. I'm sure I could do that too, as I have taught myself other
IT-ish skills in the past, e.g. html, some php, etc. But sometimes it is
difficult to even know where to start, when you don't understand what you need
to know.

As a mostly lurker type on this list, I can say that I don't understand a lot
of what is discussed - but over time I make occasional connections and pick
things up that I find interesting. So it's worth being on the list for me, even
if I can't do much with what I'm reading about most of the time.

Patricia Farnan  | Application Administrator, Discovery Services
University Library  | St Teresa’s Library

Telephone: +61 8 9433 0707 | Email: patricia.far...@nd.edu.au