Too be fair, a good support of graphics transforms and operations are keys
to allow the creation of beautifull GUI. This is not restricted to gaming
platforms. If you want to implement the material design specifications for
example, you need a good graphic transform support for animations, blending
mode support for correct components overlay and so on. That is why I
started implementing blending modes (= porter-duff) support in my fork
(https://github.com/ramsestom/CodenameOne) and I also intend to support
color transforms soon (as it is a really powerfull way to handle colored
icons and images, that can automatically adapt to a theme, without having
to transform them into fonts or to create multiple colored version of the
same image...)
You said improving the CN1 UI part is on your top priority list. Then, I
really think you should start with a strong support of "basic" graphics
operations as they are the basis of any UI. As, I would say, as talented as
you can be, it is easier to build a beautifull furniture when you have the
correct set of tools than with only a knife and a hammer... ;)