----- Original Message -----
From: "s gibinski" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2001 10:59 PM
Subject: [Coder-Com] Enhancement request

> I have noticed that one by one, all of the Undernet servers are moving to
> new code which masks a users server, prevents us regular users from using
> the +s mode

It might be an idea of the admins to put a link in the motd where users can
go and read about the changes on the website to save the mailing lists
repeating the answers ;)

> This allowed us to make good guesses at when a user was legitimately
lagged,
> and when they were just ignoring us with ctcp replies turned off.

If there your friend(s) then ask them to turn the replies on, if not then
they have turned those replies off because they don't want you to have such
information in the first place so leave them alone ;)

> 1.  It would be nice to be able to have a utility to ping the server of
the
> user, regardless of what it is.

If you can ping servers then you could make a crude network map which you
can then use to attack servers with people you don't like on them, hence its
unlikely that your suggestion will happen in the present climate.

> We would not need to know what server it was I think, but just how far
away
> it was lag wise. (since it would always be a public server anyway, you
might
> provide the server name too ??  That would be *nice* to know sometimes
too,
> but opens up the user for some attacks (??), so may be better to keep it
> hidden?  You guys know this stuff far better than us ;) )

Attackers want to know which server there victims are on so that they can
direct there attacks at them, hiding this information makes it a bit more
difficult to find out such information.

> 2.  It would be nice to be able to see all of the *regular* servers on our
> side of the split.  This information would be invaluable in determining
> where a lost user/channel bot might be found.

Again this information helps link lookers

> Take care and have a wonderful day
>
> -stephen

-=-peas-=-