>     could anyone explain what problems can arise, if BUFSIZE is
>     increased?
>
>     #define BUFSIZE         512     /* WARNING: *DONT* CHANGE THIS!!!! */
>
>     One application (not related to any IRC network) I have would
>     require support for IRC messages of up to 4KB, so I increased
>     this limit and fixed the two or three spots in the code which
>     have BUFSIZE-2 hardcoded.  From what I can tell, the IRC
>     server seems to be doing fine..
>
>     If anyone can fill in this gap, it would be appreciated.

BUFSIZE is not to be increased on any IRC network unless all clients and
servers agree on the new value.  512 is the value specified in RFC 1459.
IRC servers that use a smaller value will drop parameters; IRC clients
with a smaller value than their server could be crashed, depending on the
degree of care that has gone into writing the client.  (A well-written
client should not crash, but what it will get and what it will display to
the user are left unspecified--and not all coders pay attention to the
"Be liberal in what you accept" rule.)
--
Kevin L. Mitchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>