----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 26, 2001 1:27 AM
Subject: Re: [Coder-Com] Server kill question

> On Wed, 26 Dec 2001, Perry Lorier wrote:
> > You should never see a Quit back.  Kill's are kills they remove the
> > client immediately.  However what ircu's trying to prevent is a quit and
> > a kill crossing and ending up with a desync, so it kill's the user again
> > from the local server, knowing that the kill won't get passed on if
> > it doesn't match a user, but if it does then it will clear out any
> > possible desync.
>
> But when, for example, an oper kills a remote user, the server that owns
> that user will then disconnect him and issue a QUIT, precisly so that all
> other servers know that user has been disconnected...?

Well no, if that were the case, how would every oper on every server be able
to know that the user was killed and didn't just quit?  As Perry stated,
KILL is a completely seperate command, and when you issue a KILL, it will be
sent back and forth over the network to ensure every server knows the event
took place.  The only things that receive a QUIT for this event are the
clients, they see the user quit with 'Killed' in his quit message.

Personally, I think the reason why you are getting these errors are because
servers are not supposed to kill anyone when they are not bursting, simply
because this is where the collisions are found, and a server basically
doesn't have any business killing clients after that phase.

   Regards

  --
 Tom Rons ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
             (http://openircd.org/trons/)