> Having searched just about everywhere else, in search of the answer to
this question I'm searching here. What was (in the past) the use of the R: ?

R: lines enabled admins to establish different policies
about users connecting, rather than the simple
authorization methods allowed by I: and K: lines.

I would suppose they are still useful on smaller networks,
but on a network such as Undernet, the number of clients
connecting would result in too much CPU usage, and
thus, lag.

Also, they are most useful when the user connecting is
local, so that the program run can access more
information about the user. I suspect they were used with
more frequency in the earlier days of IRC when nearly all
users connected via their college network, to an IRC
server that was also on the school network, so that school
network use policies could be enforced without having to
implement them into the ircd.

-- Aurorian