Hi there folks. I just wanted to report a problem in channel #hq. One of our servers was breached on 2/8/03 around 2PM CST. The intruder placed a bot on our Linux server and connected to this channel. The intruder used packet sniffer to monitor username and passwords going to and out of our server. But the intruder made a mistake and caused the server to be unusable. Therefore, we found the intrusion.

If you go into this channel, #hq, then you will see about 10 to 15 users/bots that have "Proprety of Ecko" in the whois. I've logged in to gather information. They have since banned me from the channel. I've gathered enough information to further protect our servers.

I am in the process of contacting the other 15 or so system administrator of these boxes. I've contacted one already with the main user "ecko" which doesn't seem to be a bot at all. I believe the person who've logged in the box is actually using it. Anet.com has acted on this already and the user has moved now at ns2.homefusion.net

I was wondering what you folks can do about this. I understand that you folks are just providing a forum for any type of internet relay chat.

-Joong