Carlo Wood wrote:

>[10:13] -helsinki.fi.eu.undernet.org/Wallops- Protocol Violation from culay18:
>culay18 tried to CREATE a channel already joined
>[10:13] -Lelystad.NL.EU.Undernet.org/Wallops- Protocol Violation from culay18:
>culay18 tried to CREATE a channel already joined
>[10:13] -London2.Uk.Eu.Undernet.org/Wallops- Protocol Violation from culay18:
>culay18 tried to CREATE a channel already joined
>[10:13] -h69.eu.undernet.org/Wallops- Protocol Violation from culay18: culay18
>tried to CREATE a channel already joined
>[10:13] -Ede.Nl.Eu.Undernet.org/Wallops- Protocol Violation from culay18:
>culay18 tried to CREATE a channel already joined
>[10:13] -Sterling.VA.US.Undernet.Org/Wallops- Protocol Violation from culay18:
>culay18 tried to CREATE a channel already joined
>[10:13] -Oper.Undernet.Org/Wallops- Protocol Violation from culay18: culay18
>tried to CREATE a channel already joined
>[10:13] -Montreal.QC.CA.Undernet.Org/Wallops- Protocol Violation from culay18:
>culay18 tried to CREATE a channel already joined
>
>'Protocol Violation' sounds like a bug. If it's not a bug, then it should
>be understood in what circumstances this can happen and the server should
>deal with the message in the correct way instead of walloping about it
>like that.

Protocol Violation means that the server culay18 is on didn't follow the
protocol. Did this happen immediately after a server connected to the
network(i.e. during the burst?), or did it happen while the network was
stable for a long(compared to the burst time) period of time? What is
interesting is that it propagated so far that so many servers saw it:

    if ((chptr = FindChannel(name)))
    {
      /* Is the remote server confused? */
      if (find_member_link(chptr, sptr)) {
        protocol_violation(sptr, "%s tried to CREATE a channel already
joined", cli_name(sptr));
        continue;
      }

I am guessing that a hub server processed a PART or KICK message, but
didn't pass it along to the leaves for some reason. To know where the
problem is, check what server culay18 is on, and I guess you will find that

helsinki.fi.eu.undernet.org, Lelystad.NL.EU.Undernet.org,
London2.Uk.Eu.Undernet.org, h69.eu.undernet.org, Ede.Nl.Eu.Undernet.org,
Sterling.VA.US.Undernet.Org, Oper.Undernet.Org, Montreal.QC.CA.Undernet.Org all
connect together at the same hub, and that another server, and either culay18
is on the hub, or on another server(other than the above) which connects to the
hub and so on.

What version is this hub running, and what version is the server which connects
culay18 to the hub running?

A1kmm