Ugh... I'm not as far along as I thought.  I do see some immediate benefits.  The <constructor-arg> was letting me take some short cuts that a service layer probably shouldn't support.

Thanks for the feedback.

On 7/18/06, Sean Corfield <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 7/18/06, Perry Woodin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> After setting this up, I went back to look at some of the examples that ship
> with ColdSpring and noticed that <property> seems to be used in favor of
> <constructor-arg>.  Is there a general rule for when to use one over the
> other?

Dave Ross, in his presentation at CFUNITED, said "favor setter
injection over constructor injection".

Setter injection supports circular dependencies, constructor injection
does not (pretty much by definition).

It's better (IMO) to have objects constructed with just the data they
need in order to be usable and then inject everything else. In
general, I only use constructor injection for simple scalar values
(e.g ., strings) and use setter injection for more complex properties.
--
Sean A Corfield -- http://corfield.org/
Got frameworks?

-- Margaret Atwood