Colext/Macondo
Cantina virtual de los COLombianos en el EXTerior

Acabo de recibir el siguiente mensaje de alguien que lee Vanity Fair.
Yo ni la leo, ni la miro ni la huelo :-)  De todas maneras, la
protesta está interesante.

--
Fernando Guzman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

# To whom it may concern;
#
# This petition is to request a formal apology from
# Vanity Fair and Dame Edna
# for
# the offensive article regarding Latinos and the
# Spanish language which
# appears
# in the February 2003 issue of Vanity Fair.  In the
# meantime, please boycott
# Vanity Fair magazine, and urge others to do the same.
# If you are offended
# by the
# word-for-word transcription below, please copy (rather
# than forward) this
# email
# in a new message, sign it at the end of the list, and
# send it to all of the
# people whom you know. If you receive this list with
# 100 names signed,
# please
# send it to the Editor at: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
#
# And copy me: [EMAIL PROTECTED]>
# Thank you!
# Wendy Maldonado
#
# ___________________________
#
# Excerpt, Vanity Fair (February 2003), p. 116, Ask Dame
# Edna:
#
# Dear Dame Edna,
#
# I would very much like to learn a foreign language,
# preferably French or
# Italian, but every time I mention this, people tell me
# to learn Spanish
# instead.
# They say, "Everyone is going to be speaking Spanish in
# 10 years.  George W.
# Bush
# speaks Spanish." Could this be true? Are we all going
# to have to speak
# Spanish?
#
# Torn Romantic,
# Palm Beach
#
# ----------------------------------------------------------------------
#
# Dear Torn:
#
# Forget Spanish. There's nothing in that language worth
# reading except Don
# Quixote, and a quick listen to the CD of Man of La
# Mancha will take care of
# that. There was a poet named Garcia Lorca, but I'd
# leave him on the
# intellectual
# back burner if I were you. As for everyone's speaking
# it, what twaddle!
# Who
# speaks it that you are really desperate to talk to?
# The  help? Your leaf
# blower?
# Study French or German, where there are at least a few
# books worth reading,
# or,
# if you're American, try English.
#
# Dame Edna
#
# ----------------------------------------------------------------------
#
# Dear Editor,
#
# I was infuriated at Dame Edna's response to Torn
# Romantic, Palm Beach
# (Vanity Fair, February 2003). Dame Edna could have
# chosen any number of
# amusing responses; however, she responded using cheap,
# two-dimensional
# stereotypes of Latinos and Latin Americans, revealing
# not only her racism
# but
# also her profound ignorance of who we are. We are not
# just 'the help' and
# the
# 'leaf blowers'. We are architects and activists,
# journalists and doctors,
# governors and athletes, scientists and business
# people. We are Nobel Prize
# Winners and Rhodes Scholars. We speak Spanish, but we
# also speak fluent
# English,
# and many of us speak other languages as well. As of
# last week, we are
# officially
# the largest minority population in the United States
# at 37 million and
# 13%of the
# population. Without us, the economy of this nation and
# the Americas, and
# consequently the world, would come to a complete
# standstill. If Dame Edna
# were
# even remotely cultured or educated, she would have
# read and lost herself in
# the
# exquisite writings of Nobel prize winners Octavio Paz,
# Gabriel
# Garcia-Marquez,
# and Pablo Neruda. She would know that Sor Juana Inez
# de la Cruz was one of
# the
# first feminists and
# poets in the Americas. She would admire Isabel Allende
# and Sandra Cisneros
# for
# their passionate prose and vibrant spirits. And of
# course, if it had not
# been
# for us, the world would not know chocolate! And
# everyone knows life would
# not be
# worth living without chocolate. Finally, I would like
# to point out that
# Dame
# Edna would have NEVER written such blatantly offensive
# material about
# African-Americans or Jews, for obvious reasons. It
# seems that Dame Edna AND
# the
# Editors of Vanity  Fair believe that Latinos and Latin
# Americans cannot
# read,
# and even if we  could, we would never be Vanity Fair
# readers. For the life
# of
# me,  I still cannot figure out why you chose to
# feature Salma Hayek on the
# cover
# and in an article celebrating her success immediately
# following such an
# offensive piece. I demand an apology in print
# in the next issue of Vanity Fair from the Editors and
# from Dame Edna. In
# the
# meantime, I will be mobilizing everyone I know to
# boycott and protest
# Vanity
# Fair. By the way, I am a 31-year old Mexican-American
# woman, with three Ivy
# League  degrees, working in New York City at a major
# firm.  I sure as hell
# am
# NOT the leaf blower or the help, and I think all of
# you need to go to
# college.
#
# Wendy Maldonado