Thanks Sruthi, for this information and question. Welcome to Collab!

I hope others on the list who are in a better position to respond about the
breakdown of acreage devoted to millet for various purposes will do so. In
the meantime, I'd note that in a post to this list last September, Gary
Weitgrefe discussed some statistics, including that 86.8% of the proso
millet grown in the three-state area of Colorado, Nebraska, and South
Dakota (major producers) is harvested for grain.* That grain might go for
different purposes, including birdseed, feed for poultry or hogs(?), and
human food. I don't have a breakdown of that  Presumably the other 13.2%
includes proso that goes for forage / hay.

Sorghum and teff, which may be included among the millets, are similarly
grown for grain or forage. I have no breakdowns.

All other millets - including pearl, foxtail, and Japanese/barnyard - are
grown only for animal consumption, even in the rare cases they are
harvested for grain. I understand that browntop millet is sown only for
wildlife.

Others please correct me on any of the above, and/or expand on it.

It will be very interesting to know more about your study, Sruthi,
including which millets were used. Please keep us informed as the work
progresses.

Thanks again and best of luck with your studies!

Don

Don Osborn, PhD
(East Lansing, MI, US)
North American Millets Alliance