* About the enPlugin disPlugin, i do not think the user will have a lot of benefit here.

It's great if there are a bunch of plugins which do not really need configuration, if a (very) few packages need them it's ok, but if you *need* to configure every plugin
it would be a little configuration nightmare.

I rather prefer editing one file than go through a mess of dirs/files (i *HATE* the exim4 new configuration, it's (IMO) a breaindead nightmare solution which i can not overcome to only try it, i really do prefer the postfix configuration.

btw. how exactly handles postfix the configuration files? I like the way you can
select with debconf No config, Local only, Internet Mail, etc. ...
How does postfix writes this changes, as well with sed? I guess so because the config file is clean and a reconfigure seems to just ad the missing parts, could be wrong thought, never give it that much attention because it basically just works (tm).

Other solutions might be:

* I do not know if collectd can include other configuration files, but is it feasible to make the main configuration (server/client/proxy/writelocally) in collect.conf and
make an include to collect.(local | additional).conf?

* what i do NOT like are constructs like in grub and other packages with lines: "Do not change this line, it's managed by package X", "Make your changes below this line but do not delete it"
If possible this should be avoided

In following with the apache example, maybe deliver
/etc/collectd/collect.conf.example, and have a debconf question to
copy it into place?

Are you talking about "collectd-core"? I'd rather like to avoid
introducing debconf in that package as well. Imho, copying a sample
config from /usr/share/doc/ is about the same amount of work as
answering a debconf questions (which, in turn, would, presumably, avoid
quite a few people in that case).
I second that collectd-core should be as simple as could be, do not see it
necessary to have debconf in here too.

the more i think of it the more i like the way postfix handles this, i would appreciate
the same approach for collectd!

best
Raimund