On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 12:52 PM, Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org> wrote:
> On 09/09/2011 11:12 AM, Eli Collins wrote:
>> Personally I like version numbers as well,  it allows me to refer to a
>> specific version of the patch (vs a patch on a given time of
>> date/date).
>
> Re-using the name doesn't hide the old versions, it just makes them
> gray.  They're still listed, with date and may be sorted by date.  If
> you select the "Activity>All" tab then the different versions are linked
> to in the comment stream, providing context.
>
> 90+% of the time I'm interested in the most recent version of the patch,
> so the value of having it highlighted is great.  Frequently when
> different names are used I mistakenly download the wrong version and
> waste time reviewing it, but when the same name is used I always get the
> most recent.  The highlighting is very effective for me.

I'm cool w/ adopting the names w/o versions. Try to standardize on one
form would be easier for everyone, especially new contributors.

Anyone object to me updating HowToContribute with the following?

Patches for trunk should be named:   jira-xyz.patch
eg hdfs-123.patch

Patches for a specific branch should be named:  jira-xyz-branch.patch
where "branch" may be abbreviated, eg hdfs-123-security.patch

I'll indicate the rationale wrt jira so people know why it's this way.

Thanks,
Eli