Alas, my original request about changing the default sort order to be by
date doesn't seem to be satisfiable as Doug mentioned. I also searched
around on Atlassian forums and JIRA tracker for the JIRA project itself,
seems like an issue that isn't fixed yet.

Regarding patch names, I too agree with Allen that extension should be .txt.
I do run into patches every now and then which aren't interpreted as text
files, so there are people out there using browsers that don't properly set
the content-type.

Thanks,
+Vinod