The main "feature" is that when you get the +1  vote you yourself get to deal
with the grunge work of apply
patches to one or more svn branches, resyncing that with the git branches
you inevitably do your own work on.
no, main feature is major speed advantage. It takes forever to get something committed. I was annoyed with apache nutch last year and forked it, here is snapshot from forked codebase http://forum.lupa.cz/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=1674.0;attach=3439 now its 160k LOC on top of apache nutch 1.4. If i worked with these guys, it would be never done because it took them 4 months to get 200 lines patch reviewed.

Hadoop has huge backlog of patches, you need way more committers then you have today. I simply could not assign person to working on hadoop fulltime because if he submits mere 5 patches per day, you will be never able to process them.

Your current development process fail to scale. What are your plans for moving development faster?