1) how to setup your development environment, for example:
export PATH=$PATH:~/development/protobuf-2.4.1/src
export HADOOP_HOME=~/development/hadoop-common-1.1.1
export HADOOP_LOG_DIR=$HADOOP_HOME/logs
export ECLIPSE_HOME=~/development/eclipse
export FORREST_HOME=~/development/apache-forrest-0.8
export PATH=$PATH:$FORREST_HOME/bin
export JAVA_HOME=~/development/ibm-java-x86_64-60
export PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$PATH
export CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib:$ANT_HOME/lib:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$HADOOP_HOME/build/native/Linux-amd64-64/lib:
umask 0022
cd $HADOOP_HOME

2) do a clean build and test from command line to make sure everything
works without eclipse, example
ant clean package -Djava5.home=/usr/java/jdk1.5.0_22
-Dforrest.home=/home/sanjar/development/apache-forrest-0.8
-Dcompile.native=true

3) build an eclipse project
ant eclipse

4) import the project in to eclipse
file->import->general->"existing project into workspace"

5) Change eclipse jre to point to your sdk if needed.
6) add ANT_HOME to your eclipse enviroment
7) build the project clean
8) if debugging junit testcases add below argument to your "VM Argument" in
your "debug configuration".
-Dhadoop.log.dir=build/test/logs -Dtest.build.data=build/test/data
-Dhadoop.log.file=hadoop.log -Xmx500m -XX:+DumpOnOutOfMemoryError
-Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true

I might have missed a step :) , let me know if it helped

Best Regards
Amir Sanjar

System Management Architect
PowerLinux Open Source Hadoop development lead
IBM Senior Software Engineer
Phone# 512-286-8393
Fax# 512-838-8858