On 21 May 2013 23:47, Jagane Sundar <jag...@sundar.org> wrote:

> I see one significant benefit to having Release Plan votes: Fewer releases
> with more members of the community working on any given release.
> In turn, fewer Hadoop releases implies less confusion for end users
> attempting to download and use an Apache Hadoop release.
>
> If there are a dozen different releases of Apache Hadoop available for
> download at the Apache Hadoop website, end users will go to a commercial
> vendor packaged version of Hadoop. That is not good for the Apache Hadoop
> community as a whole.
>
> Jagane

I agree we don't want fragmentation; you don't want to have to choose
between hadoop-2.1, hadoop-2.1.stevel-may and hadoop-2.1.stevel-june.

With a vote on artifact releases, this can be prevented. I am free to
create my -may and -june artifacts, but the PMC -it is just the PMC right?-
get to say "no steve, you can't ship this from the apache.org" site, though
I am free to make my own (which I have done in the past & put into my own
RPMs. No need for a vote if I do it on my own site, though I did make sure
I named the JARs and RPMs something else so that maven builds didn't get
confused.