Hi Folks

Hadoop's pluggable filesystem architecture supports the ability to enable an
alternate filesystem for use with Hadoop by writing a plugin for it. We now
have several alternate filesystems that have Hadoop FileSystem plugins and
because this isn't a very well understood topic, I've been working on a page on
the project wiki to bring this all together -
http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HCFS. At the same time, the Ambari project has
been opening up Ambari to support any configured Hadoop FileSystem (as opposed
to just HDFS) over at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMBARI-1817

My team (over at Red Hat) have been working on writing a Hadoop FileSystem
plugin for the glusterfs filesystem and have been finding that some of the
expected semantics of the operations within the Abstract FileSystem class are a
little ambiguous. With that said, we've joined Steve Loughran in attempting to
clarify these for both the Hadoop 1.0 and the Hadoop 2.0 FileSystem class over
at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-9371

It seems to me that once we had these semantics defined, it would be good for
consistency of implementation if we could make sure they are well understood
and properly implemented by the community of folks writing Hadoop FileSystem
plugins. To that end, we might work to ensure that those semantics are tested
within an exhaustive test framework that focuses on the abstract Hadoop
FileSystem layer. Each FileSystem provider could run the tests to ensure their
plugin implementation and behavior is consistent with the expectation. Perhaps
a broader extension of https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-9258.

If folks are interested in these goals, I could host a
workshop/discussion/hackday in Mountain View to get local people together
(perhaps a Google Hangout for the remote folks) to keep the ball rolling on the
semantics discussion and test creation. As a side note, I think this could also
turn out be quite an effective means of introducing FileSystem vendors to the
ASF and getting them contributing to these aspects of the project.

Regards
Steve Watt