The following link from January states that Windows 7 (NOT Server) should
work.  Has anyone been successful with this and have any comments on the
process?

https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hadoop2OnWindows
<https://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/Hadoop2OnWindows >

>> Windows Vista and Windows 7 are also likely to work because of the Win32
>> API similarities with the respective server SKUs

The present lack of support by HortonWorks for anything but Windows SERVER
was a really ugly discovery for my team. We do not have any option to use
that O/S per our (v large) company IT policies. So support for Windows 7 Pro
would be a big help.