Hi,

I am worry about KMS and transparent encryption since there are quite many bugs
discovered after it got merged to branch-2.  It gives us an impression that the
feature is not yet well tested.  Indeed, transparent encryption is a
complicated feature which changes the core part of HDFS.  It is not easy to get
everything right.

For HDFS-6584: Archival Storage, it is a relatively simple and low risk
feature.  It introduces a new storage type ARCHIVE and the concept of block
storage policy to HDFS.  When a cluster is configured with ARCHIVE storage, the
blocks will be stored using the appropriate storage types specified by storage
policies assigned to the files/directories.  Cluster admin could disable the
feature by simply not configuring any storage type and not setting any storage
policy as before.   As Suresh mentioned, HDFS-6584 is in the final stages to be
merged to branch-2.

Regards,
Tsz-Wo