Some lesson learn during 2.x.  WebHDFS, HDFS ACL, QJM HA, rolling upgrade
are great features.  Mapreduce 1.x uses resources more efficiently,
containers have rigid constraint, and applications get killed prematurely.
When a node has a lot of containers, YARN takes significant amount of
system resources.  Existing daemon based application to run on top of YARN
without code change is impossible.  It is difficult to pinpoint where
services will run.  Extra routing of client to server code needs to be
written for the application.  Hence, the existing map reduce approach to
spawn off parallelized work load and output result in durable file system
is better.  Client serving service doesn't need to track states but read
from hdfs.  Hence some level of HA for external serving service can achieve
without YARN.  Slider provides a better interface for exposing API to
deploy applications.

It would be nice to support the following in 3.x:

- JDK 8
- Upgrade to most recent version of Jetty, most hang problems or busy cpu
problems comes from Jetty 6.1.x being incompatible with JDK 7 in NIO design.
- Improve default security, there is a gap where Default Container Executor
vs Linux Container Executor.  It would be nicer if default security uses
Linux Container Executor to ensure developer remember to run with doAs when
designing services to run on top of Hadoop.
- Since 3.x is a major release number change.  There maybe backward
compatible API breakage initially in order to gain new functionality.  The
backward compatible patches can be added over time.
- Reduce YARN framework resource usage
- Improve usability of YARN UI.  Drill down from application to container
then back to application view is almost unusable.
- Smarter strategy for containers placement.  Some call this anti-affinity
support for YARN, but there is only a few types to support.  The identified
ones are: shared, silo, and dedicated.  In shared, containers can co-locate
on same node.  In silo, where same type of container can only spawn one per
node.  Dedicated will reserve the entire node for this workload.

regards,
Eric