Hi Darrell,

Those are great questions.  This relates to project governance, so if you
haven't already seen our bylaws, I recommend taking a look.

https://hadoop.apache.org/bylaws.html

The word "bylaws" sounds intimidating, but don't worry.  It's a short
document.  :-)

What you're describing sounds like a project management or product
management role.  In Apache Hadoop (and probably the majority of other
Apache projects), this role is not assigned to any one individual or set
of individuals.  Instead, the community has a collective responsibility to
build consensus on which changes go into the software.  This process
culminates in binding +1 or -1 votes by committers and PMC members, as
described in the bylaws.  Non-committers are also encouraged to cast +1/-1
votes, but we ask that you call it out as a "non-binding" vote.  The
bylaws do not allow anyone to take action based on non-binding votes, but
we still see them as an important part of gauging community interest (or
objection) to a particular change.

You asked if anyone could file a jira based on subjective opinion and push
it through to trunk.  Technically, this is true, but we rely on the above
process to ensure there is some degree of consensus before a change is
committed.  Specifically, code cannot be committed to the repository until
it receives a binding +1 from at least one committer or PMC member.  That
means at least two people agree with the proposal on the jira.  If another
committer or PMC member comes along later and casts a binding -1 vote,
then that acts as a veto, and it goes back to the drawing board to try to
reach agreement.

Specifically for MAPREDUCE-5673, I do think it's a good idea for you to
pursue it.  It has been open for a long time, which suggests no one has
considered it urgent, but I also see no objections from the people who
have chosen to comment.  For UI changes, I encourage you to do a quick
mock-up and attach a screenshot for early review.  That might reveal if
adding a new column makes the UI look too crowded or if it needs further
design though.

Thank you for asking these questions, and we appreciate your contributions!

Chris Nauroth
Hortonworks
http://hortonworks.com/