Apologize if I wasn't clear

> Is the EZ key version same as an alias for the key?
yup

> the EDEK along with the EZ key version is stored in the FIleInfo
FileInfo contains both EDEK and EZ key version. The FileInfo (you can look
at the *org.apache.hadoop.fs.FileEncryptionInfo* class for more info)
object is stored as the value of the extended attribute of that file.

> How is the KeyMaterial derived from the KeyAlias and where is the mapping
> between
the two stored? Is it in the KMS?
Yup. KMS extends the *org.apache.hadoop.crypto.key.KeyProvider* class. You
can take a look at it or a concrete implementation such as
JavaKeyStoreProvider for more information.

Also, you should probably direct questions related to HDFS encryption to
hdfs-...@hadoop.apache.org

Cheers
-Arun