I think it's good to have a general build/test process projects can share, so
+1 to pulling it out. You should get help from others.

regarding incubation, it is a lot of work, especially for something that's more
of an in-house tool than an artifact to release and redistribute.

You can't just use apache labs or the build project's repo to work on this?

if you do want to incubate, we may want to nominate the hadoop project as the
monitoring PMC, rather than incubator@.

-steve