Hi Akira,

Thank you for starting interesting topic. +1 on the idea of More
Maintenance Releases for old branches. It would be good if this
activity is more coupled with Apache Yetus for users.

BTW, I don't know one of committers, who is not PMC, can be a release
manager. Does anyone know about this?  It's described in detail as
follows: http://hadoop.apache.org/bylaws#Decision+Making

> Release Manager
> A Release Manager (RM) is a committer who volunteers to produce a Release
> Candidate according to HowToRelease.
>
> Project Management Committee
> Deciding what is distributed as products of the Apache Hadoop project. In
> particular all releases must be approved by the PMC

Thanks,
- Tsuyoshi