One other (long shot) option might be to do git cherry-picks of all new
*trunk* commits into the feature branch when you uprev. But I'm not sure if
that will be a sustainable practice, given the number of commits that are
happening on the trunk. Unless you're upreving very often (e.g. daily),
this could also get out of hand.