> On 15 Sep 2015, at 16:49, Chris Nauroth <cnaur...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
> It would be great if we could get to a point where a failure in the
> nightly builds automatically creates a blocker JIRA against the branch's
> corresponding version.  Our tests are nowhere near stable enough for that
> to be realistic right now, so it would have to be a long-term improvement.
> We'd have to invest effort into stabilizing the tests first.

Automatic would be nice, but as there are so many causes of build breakages
right now, we can't even think of that.

> As a side effect, stabilizing the tests would make it feasible to enable
> parallel execution of tests for faster pre-commit.  This is tracked in
> HADOOP-11984.  I stabilized a few of the tests while working on that, but
> I had to put the effort on hold.

wow —that's a serious piece of work. I'm impressed.

Bringing an HDFS run down to 45 min from 2.5 hours would be a great achievement.

How about applying some of the source test file patches right now, so that the
actual patch to turn on parallel test runs would be less?