> On Sep 9, 2016, at 2:15 PM, Anu Engineer <aengin...@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
> +1, Thanks for the effort. It brings in a world of consistency to the hadoop
> vars; and as usual reading your bash code was very educative.

        Thanks!

        There's still a handful of HDFS and MAPRED vars that begin with HADOOP,
but those should be trivial to knock out after a pattern has been established.

> I had a minor suggestion though. since we have classified the _OPTS to client
> and daemon opts, for new people it is hard to know which of these subcommands
> are daemon vs. a client command.  Maybe we can add a special char in the help
> message to indicate which are daemons or just document it? Only way I know
> right now is to look the appropriate script and see if
> HADOOP_SUBCMD_SUPPORTDAEMONIZATION is set to true.

        That's a great suggestion.  Would it be better if the usage output was
more like:

---snip---
Usage: hdfs [OPTIONS] SUBCOMMAND [SUBCOMMAND OPTIONS]

  OPTIONS is none or any of:

--buildpaths                       attempt to add class files from build tree
--config dir                       Hadoop config directory
--daemon (start|status|stop)       operate on a daemon
--debug                            turn on shell script debug mode
--help                             usage information
--hostnames list[,of,host,names]   hosts to use in worker mode
--hosts filename                   list of hosts to use in worker mode
--loglevel level                   set the log4j level for this command
--workers                          turn on worker mode

  SUBCOMMAND is one of:

Clients:
        cacheadmin           configure the HDFS cache
        classpath            prints the class path needed to get the hadoop jar
and the required libraries
        crypto               configure HDFS encryption zones

Daemons:
        balancer             run a cluster balancing utility
        datanode             run a DFS datanode
        namenode             run the DFS name node
---snip---

        We do something similar in Apache Yetus and shouldn't be too hard to do
in Apache Hadoop. We couldn't read SUPPORTDAEMONIZATION to place things, but as
long as people put their new commands in the correct section in hadoop_usage,
it should work.