I think we are OK to leave support for the zstd codec in the Hadoop code base.
I asked Chris Mattman for clarification, noting that the support for the zstd
codec requires the user to install the zstd headers and libraries and then
configure it to be included in the native Hadoop build.  The Hadoop releases
are not shipping any zstd code (e.g.: headers or libraries) nor does it require
zstd as a mandatory dependency.  Here's what he said:

On Monday, July 17, 2017 11:07 AM, Chris Mattmann <mattm...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi Jason,
>
> This sounds like an optional dependency on a Cat-X software. This isn’t the
> only type of compression
> that is allowed within Hadoop, correct? If it is truly optional and you have
> gone to that level of detail
> below to make the user opt in, and if we are not shipping zstd with our
> products (source code releases),
> then this is an acceptable usage.
>
> Cheers,
> Chris

So I think we are in the clear with respect to zstd usage as long as we keep it
as an optional codec where the user needs to get the headers and libraries for
zstd and configure it into the native Hadoop build.

Jason