Hi M.V.S.Chaitanya,

Thanks for the interest!

In case you didn't find it, upstream doc
<http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r3.0.0/hadoop-project-dist/hadoop-hdfs/HDFSErasureCoding.html>
has
the definition. This blog post
<https://blog.cloudera.com/blog/2015/09/introduction-to-hdfs-erasure-coding-in-apache-hadoop/>
may
also help clarify things a bit.

Some answers inline.

Best,
-Xiao

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 9:52 AM Chaitanya M V S <chaitanya.mvs2...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi!
>
> We a group of people trying to understand the architecture of erasure
> coding in Hadoop 3.0. We have been facing difficulties to understand few
> terms and concepts regarding the same.
>
> 1. What do the terms Block, Block Group, Stripe, Cell and Chunk mean in the
> context of erasure coding (these terms have taken different meanings and
> have been used interchangeably over various documentation and blogs)? How
> has this been incorporated in reading and writing of EC data?

Checking the source code is probably the best way to get answers like how
the r/w of EC is done.

> 2. How has been the idea/concept of the block from previous versions
> carried over to EC?

Block is still largely the actual file on a datanode. In EC, a block group
contains several (9, in case of RS(6,3) ) blocks.

> 3. ‎The higher level APIs, that of ErasureCoders and ErasureCodec still
> hasn't been plugged into Hadoop. Also, I haven't found any new Jira
> regarding the same. Can I know if there are any updates or pointers
> regarding the incorporation of these APIs into Hadoop?

Not sure I understand what APIs are being referred here. A sample pointer
to hadoop implementation is
https://github.com/apache/hadoop/blob/trunk/hadoop-common-project/hadoop-common/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/io/erasurecode/codec/ErasureCodec.java,
more can be looked up. :)

> 4. How is the datanode for reconstruction work chosen?  Also, how are the
> buffer sizes for the reconstruction work determined?

Suggest to look at source code in NN, specifically the BlockManager class.