Thank you Shingo,

Could you shade more lights on the ML use case? Is it because the ML
frameworks are not written in Java so they can't use HDFS client libraries?
How about using WebHDFS? I'm sure there are python bindings for WebHDFS. Or
NFS Gateway?

The fact is, there are a few ways to access HDFS today, and I don't feel we
can support all of them at high quality, and to support new features added
into HDFS in the future.

Thanks for the pointer to hdfs-mount. Sending protobuf messages instead of
running a HDFS client Java VM is definitely a viable approach.
I think it'll work for basic clusters. However getting it to support
Kerberos and encryption can be tricky. (Unfortunately that's the majority
of my customers)