Hi devs,

Since we started submarine-related effort last year, we received a lot of
feedbacks, several companies (such as Netease, China Mobile, etc.)  are
trying to deploy Submarine to their Hadoop cluster along with big data
workloads. Linkedin also has big interests to contribute a Submarine TonY (
https://github.com/linkedin/TonY) runtime to allow users to use the same
interface.

>From what I can see, there're several issues of putting Submarine under
yarn-applications directory and have same release cycle with Hadoop:

1) We started 3.2.0 release at Sep 2018, but the release is done at Jan
2019. Because of non-predictable blockers and security issues, it got
delayed a lot. We need to iterate submarine fast at this point.

2) We also see a lot of requirements to use Submarine on older Hadoop
releases such as 2.x. Many companies may not upgrade Hadoop to 3.x in a
short time, but the requirement to run deep learning is urgent to them. We
should decouple Submarine from Hadoop version.

And why we wanna to keep it within Hadoop? First, Submarine included some
innovation parts such as enhancements of user experiences for YARN
services/containerization support which we can add it back to Hadoop later
to address common requirements. In addition to that, we have a big overlap
in the community developing and using it.

There're several proposals we have went through during Ozone merge to trunk
discussion:
https://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hadoop-common-dev/201803.mbox/%3ccahfhakh6_m3yldf5a2kq8+w-5fbvx5ahfgs-x1vajw8gmnz...@mail.gmail.com%3E

I propose to adopt Ozone model: which is the same master branch, different
release cycle, and different release branch. It is a great example to show
agile release we can do (2 Ozone releases after Oct 2018) with less
overhead to setup CI, projects, etc.

*Links:*
- JIRA: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-8135
- Design doc
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/199J4pB3blqgV9SCNvBbTqkEoQdjoyGMjESV4MktCo0k/edit>
- User doc
<https://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r3.2.0/hadoop-yarn/hadoop-yarn-applications/hadoop-yarn-submarine/Index.html>
(3.2.0
release)
- Blogposts, {Submarine} : Running deep learning workloads on Apache Hadoop
<https://hortonworks.com/blog/submarine-running-deep-learning-workloads-apache-hadoop/>,
(Chinese Translation: Link <https://www.jishuwen.com/d/2Vpu>)
- Talks: Strata Data Conf NY
<https://conferences.oreilly.com/strata/strata-ny-2018/public/schedule/detail/68289>