From: Wangda Tan <wheele...@gmail.com>
Date: Friday, February 1, 2019 at 10:52 AM
To: Eric Yang <ey...@hortonworks.com>
Cc: Weiwei Yang <abvclo...@gmail.com>, Xun Liu <neliu...@163.com>, Hadoop
Common <common-dev@hadoop.apache.org>, "yarn-...@hadoop.apache.org"
<yarn-...@hadoop.apache.org>, Hdfs-dev <hdfs-...@hadoop.apache.org>,
"mapreduce-...@hadoop.apache.org" <mapreduce-...@hadoop.apache.org>
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Making submarine to different release model like Ozone

Thanks everyone for sharing thoughts!

Eric, appreciate your suggestions. But there are many examples to have separate
releases, like Hive's storage API, OZone, etc. For loosely coupled
sub-projects, it gonna be great (at least for most of the users) to have
separate releases so new features can be faster consumed and iterated. From
above feedbacks from developers and users, I think it is also what people want.

Another concern you mentioned is Submarine is aligned with Hadoop project
goals. From feedbacks we can see, it attracts companies continue using Hadoop
to solve their ML/DL requirements, it also created a good feedback loop, many
issues faced, and some new functionalities added by Submarine went back to
Hadoop. Such as localization files, directories. GPU topology related
enhancement, etc.

We will definitely use this sub-project opportunity to fast grow both Submarine
and Hadoop, try to get fast release cycles for both of the projects. And for
your suggestion about Apache incubator, we can reconsider it once Submarine
becomes a more independent project, now it is still too small and too much
overhead to go through the process, I don't want to stop the fast-growing
community for months to go through incubator process for now.

I really hope my comment can help you reconsider the veto. :)

Thanks,
Wangda

On Fri, Feb 1, 2019 at 9:39 AM Eric Yang