From: Jonathan Eagles <jeag...@gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 at 11:48 AM
To: Eric Yang <ey...@hortonworks.com>
Cc: "Elek, Marton" <e...@apache.org>, Hadoop Common
<common-dev@hadoop.apache.org>, "yarn-...@hadoop.apache.org"
<yarn-...@hadoop.apache.org>, Hdfs-dev <hdfs-...@hadoop.apache.org>, Eric
Badger <ebad...@verizonmedia.com>, Eric Payne <erichadoo...@yahoo.com.invalid>,
Jim Brennan <james.bren...@verizonmedia.com.invalid>
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Docker build process

This email discussion thread is the result of failing to reach consensus in the
JIRA. If you participate in this discussion thread, please recognize that a
considerable effort has been made by contributors on this JIRA. On the other
hand, contributors to this JIRA need to listen carefully to the comments in
this discussion thread since they represent the thoughts and voices of the open
source community that will a) benefit from and b) bear the burden of this
feature. Failing to listen to these voices is failing to deliver a feature in
its best form.

My thoughts-

As shown from my comments on YARN-7129, I have particular concerns that
resonate other posters on this thread.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/YARN-7129?focusedCommentId=16790842&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-16790842
- Docker images don't evolve at the same rate as Hadoop (tends to favor a
separate release cycle, perhaps project)
- Docker images could have many flavors and favoring one flavor (say ubuntu, or
windows) over another takes away from Apache Hadoop's platform neutral stance
(providing a single "one image fits all" stance is optimistic).
- Introduces release processes that could limit the community's ability to
produce releases at a regular rate. (Effective root user permissions needed to
create image limiting who can release, extra Docker image only releases)
- In addition, I worry this send a complicated message to our consumers and
will stagnate release adoption.

> I will make adjustment accordingly unless 7 more people comes out and say
> otherwise.

I'm sorry if this is a bit of humor which is lost on me. However, Apache Hadoop
has a set of bylaws that dictate the community's process on decision making.
https://hadoop.apache.org/bylaws.html

Best Regards,
jeagles