Protobuf provides Wire compatibility between releases.. but not
guarantees the source compatibility in generated sources. There will be a
problem in compatibility if anyone uses generated protobuf message outside
of Hadoop modules. Which ideally shouldn't be as generated sources are not
public APIs.

   There should not be any compatibility problems between releases in terms
of communication provided both uses same syntax (proto2) of proto message.
This I have verified by communication between protobuf 2.5.0 client with
protobuf 3.7.1 server.

   To avoid the downstream transitive dependency classpath problem, who
might be using protobuf 2.5.0 classes, planning to shade the 3.7.1 classes
and its usages in all hadoop modules.. and keep 2.5.0 jar back in hadoop
classpath.

Hope I have answered your question.

-Vinay