or maybe https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-14476

I reverted this fix and I've not looked at it further. But take a look.
It's disappointing to me that none of the active Hadoop contributors seem
to understand DirectoryScanner well enough.

or HDFS-11187 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-11187>

If you can post a jstack snippet I might be able to help out.