It is a good question. I'm not familiar with Apache commons VFS (which I
assume you are talking about, versus the BSD/Unix VFS layer). There no
doubt will be semantic differences between Hadoop FS interface and VFS. It
would be an interesting exercise to implement a connector that bridges the
gap, running a Hadoop FileSystem etc. on top of VFS libraries. Anyone else
looked at this or have experience with Apache VFS?