Hello Folks,

I hope you are all doing well...

*The problem*
The recent protests made me realize that we are not just a bystanders of
the systematic racism that affect our society, but we are active
participants of it. Being "non-racist" is not enough, I strongly feel we
should be actively "anti-racist" in our day to day lives, and continuously
check our biases. I assume most of you will agree with the general
sentiment, but based on your exposure to the recent events and US
culture/history might have more or less strong feelings about your role in
the problem and potential solution.

*What can we do about it?* I think a simple action we can take is to work
on our code/comments/documentation/websites and remove racist terminology.
Here is a IETF draft to fix up some of the most egregious examples
(master/slave, whitelist/backlist) with proposed alternatives.
https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-knodel-terminology-00.html#rfc.section.1.1.1
Also as we go about this effort, we should also consider other
"non-inclusive" terminology issues around gender (e.g., binary gendered
examples, "Alice" doing the wrong security thing systematically), and
ableism (e.g., referring to misbehaving hardware as "lame" or "limping",
etc.).
The easiest action item is to avoid this going forward (ideally adding it
to the checkstyles if possible), a more costly one is to start going back
and refactor away existing instances.

I know this requires a bunch of work as refactorings might break dev
branches and non-committed patches, possibly scripts, etc. but I think this
is something important and relatively simple we can do. The effect goes
well beyond some text in github, it signals what we believe in, and forces
hundreds of users and contributors to notice and think about it. Our
force-multiplier is huge and it matches our responsibility.

What do you folks think?

Thanks,
Carlo