Hm. What version of Hadoop are you running? Have you modified the
log4j.properties file in other ways?  The logfiles generated by Hadoop
should, by default, switch to a new file every day, appending the
previous day's date to the closed log file (e.g.,
"hadoop-hadoop-datanode-jargon.log.2009-07-13"). You should be able to
use logrotate + cron to move those files out to someplace with more
space and/or remove them after they're too old.

After you changed log4j.properties, did you restart the daemons?
Changing the properties file has no effect on running processes.
Similarly, if you're running on a proper cluster (as opposed to
standalone / pseudo-distributed modes), you'll need to set
"hadoop.root.logger=ERROR,console" in the log4j.properties file on
each separate machine; the client machine alone is not sufficient.

- Aaron