You can extends hadoop configuration
public class YourConfiguration extends Configuration {

 /** constructor */
  public IthursConfiguration() {

  super();

  }

  /**
  * Create a clone of passed configuration.
  *
  * @param c
  * Configuration to clone.
  */
  public YourConfiguration(final HBaseConfiguration c) {

  this();
  for(final Entry <String, String> e: c) {
  set(e.getKey(), e.getValue());
  }

  addIThursResources();
  }

  private void addIThursResources() {

  addResource("ithurs-default.xml");

  }
this will help you load your own config parameters which inclues your slaves
too!!