Hi All,

I am quite new to Hadoop. May I ask a simple question about HDFS file access
synchronization?

For some very typical scenarios below, how does HDFS respond? Is there a way
to synchronize file access in HDFS?

A tries to read a file currently being written by B.
A tries to write a file currently being written by B.
A tries to write a file currently being read by B.

We plan to put some shared data in HDFS so that multiple applications can
share the data between them. The ideal case is that the underlying
distributed file system (HDFS here) will provide file access synchronization
so that applications know when they can or cannot operate on a certain file.
Is this way of thinking correct? What is the typical design for this kind of
application scenario?

I am quite confused. Definitely need to read more about HDFS and other
distributed file systems. But before that, I would appreciate very much the
input from experts in the mailing list.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,
Zhang Bingjun (Eddy)