Hey Mafish,

If you are getting 1-2m blocks on a single datanode, you'll have many other problems - especially with regards to periodic block reports.

With regards to memory, have you tried the compressed pointers JDK option (we saw great benefits on the NN)? Java is incredibly hard to get a straight answer from with regards to memory. You need to perform a GC first manually - the actual usage is the amount it reports used post-GC. You can get these details by using JMX.

Brian