Hi Mayuran,

Yes, you need to run a secondary namenode.

The secondary namenode is *not* a backup mechanism. It is an important part
of the HDFS metadata system, and is responsible for periodically
checkpointing the filesystem namespace into a single file.

Without the secondary namenode running, the edit log of the NN will grow
without bound (unless you are periodically restarting your namenode, which
also causes a checkpoint.

Note that you do not need to run the 2NN on a separate machine *if* you have
enough RAM for two entire copies of your filesystem namespace. For small
clusters you should be fine to run the two daemons on one machine.

Hope that helps,
-Todd