On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 10:53 AM, Stas Oskin <stas.os...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm looking into Name Node high availability, but so far found only an
> approach using DRBD.
> I tried to make it work using Xen over DRBD, but it didn't quite work - in
> fact I received a very valuable experience of recovering meta-data from
> SecondaryNameNode. :)

Could you share the way in which it didn't quite work? Would be valuable
information for the community.

Always good to learn how to recover metadata :) You can do fire drills like
this on a pseudodistributed cluster too - probably good for any ops people
out there who haven't tried it before.

> Are there any other approaches which will make the NameNode
> highly-available?

I think this discussion came up last week on the list. Check the archives.

> Also, if we speaking about this, is it possible to use the config directory
> from NFS, to have a single configuration for all the node?

Yes, it should work fine, but you'll really be kicking yourself when your
NFS server is down and thus the entirety of your Hadoop cluster won't start
either :) I'd recommend rsync, personally. Keep things simple :)

-Todd